This is the first of a series of colour breads I plan to make. They are super simple and also very quick to prepare. I got the recipe from one of my favourite food blogs, Green Kitchen Stories. I’ve been making other recipes from their blog and book, which I got from my mom, and they always turn out so so well! It’s one of the few recipe sources that I trust and rarely make adjustments to when I follow one of their recipes, as their taste and choice of ingredients are very similar to mine.
Add eggs and whisk
I also get a lot of inspiration and ideas from their recipes: the combination of foods, spices, cooking methods, the simpleness of most recipes and the flexibility they allow… all pretty amazing and useful.
The only equipment you need for this recipe is a blender or smoothie maker, and an oven. This bread is made of broccoli, almond flour and eggs, that’s it. It is a “vegetable bread” and can be eaten as a snack, sandwich, pizza, and you can freeze it and use it later if you want.
This is a gluten-free bread which is also high in protein (almonds), vitamins A C E K and fibre (broccoli), among other nutrients and minerals. Broccoli is an extremely nutrient-rich food: it has been proven to reduce the risk of heart disease, strengthen bones (Vit K) and eye health (carotenoids).
You can choose to substitute the broccoli for other veggies: carrots & cauliflower, beetroots, sweet potatoes, peppers… You can eat it with hummus, smashed avocados, cheese, ham or even nutella or honey (if you’re into savoury-sweet)!
If you make this I’d love to hear how it turns out!
Total time: 15min prep + 20min bake
Notes: the quantities used in this recipe yield about 12 thick slices of bread. Depending on the thickness and slice-size you choose, you will get more/less servings.
- 5 medium eggs (4 large)
- 100g almond flour / chickpea flour
- 4 cups minced broccoli (1 litre or 1 large broccoli head)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt, pepper and any other preferred condiment: garlic powder, oregano, basil
- Preheat oven at 200º. Roughly chop broccoli into small pieces.Add to a food blender (or a smoothie maker), blend until a sort of “flour” is created. Add to large bowl.
- Add almond flour. Mix well and create a hole in the mix.
- Add eggs, oil and condiments into the hole you created and whisk until bubbly. keep whisking, from centre then outwards, until dough is well mixed. You will notice it is quite wet, that’s ok!
- Place a baking sheet on a baking tray. Transfer dough onto the tray and flatten with your hands. I was initially going for a thinner flatbread but I was scared it would be too thin. Don’t be scared to thin it out and flatten it well! Cook for about 20mins.