On Sunday mornings I wake up and I all I really want is delicious, simple and comfort food that will make me feel good about life, one bite at a time. Although I could normally spend hours cooking just one thing, this morning I woke up and felt like something simple and quick. I turned on the stove, then the oven and I started chopping.
I don’t have much to say about it, except that this idea had been on my mind for a few days now, and it felt great both to finally prepare and then eat it. The key here was to use every single minute of my time efficiently, as you don’t want to be waiting around – it’s Sunday, you are hungry and you’ve no patience!
I went for a vegan version, but I prepared the carnivorous version too. I like to do this often, based on my particular preference at that moment but also to prove that combining “diets” in one same home is possible.
The recipe is very open to variations, there is no one way of making this because we all like things cooked differently (especially on Sunday hangry mornings), and all this really is, is yummy stuff on toasted bread.
Mushrooms are not for everyone (especially not for Sinead or Ciara), perhaps you’d like onions, peppers or fresh tomatoes.
The toppings were basil, parmesan and chilli flakes, but what if you feel like coriander, goat cheese and sunflower seeds? Well that’s perfectly fine too!
I also used sourdough bread, but fresh brioche or no bread at all is ok too.
We shouldn’t follow rules from anyone when we cook and eat, just our own bodies’ needs and our appetite. That is why the below are only guidelines I followed today and a place to start from if you are feeling too lazy to think about what you want for breakfast!
Total time: 15-20mins
Notes: quantities are rough, go with your gut here (literally). This recipe is for 2.
- 2 slices of bread (I used sourdough)
- 1 red onion
- 10-14 brown mushrooms
- 1 avocado, sliced and mashed + salt, pepper, garlic and paprika
- Sliced parmesan
- Chopped basil
- Chilli flakes
Carnivorous version, add…
- 2 scrambled eggs
- 2 slice of bacon, grilled and chopped
- Preheat oven to 200C, on souble grill/gratin mode. Heat stove to medium-high heat. Chop onions in 2-3cm slices.
- Sauté until soft (add sugar/honey if you want extra sweetness). …While this is cooking, chop mushrooms. Once cooked, set onions aside.
- Sauté mushrooms. To make them softer you can add salt (or tamari/soy sauce). …While this is cooking, slice the avocado, scoop the flesh out and mash with a fork (add condiments here) and also place the bread slices in the toaster for shorter time than you normally would. Chop the parmesan and basil too.
- Place the toast, spread the mashed avocado, add mushrooms & onions, sprinkle parmesan. Place in oven and leave for 1 minute.
- Take it out and sprinkle fresh basil & chilli flakes.
If you go for the egg & bacon version, place a slice or two of bacon in the oven while it’s heating, and scramble the eggs right before placing in oven. Easy!